Hey SFCFers! Our own Karla Ferguson will be available for ungluing treatments in Kelly’s office on Fridays starting next week, February 3rd. $75 for 1-hour, $105 for 90 minutes. You can now book online HERE.
Blog Archives: General
Our own Warrington Parker made his Crossfit Journal debut this week with his article about the beginners perspective to starting Crossfit. He tells his own experience about getting started after being a desk-jockey working as a lawyer for many years and gives great tips and advice for coaches and owners to keep new athletes coming back. Here is a snippet of the article:
A little more than two years ago, I attended my first CrossFit class. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. My friend, who suggested I go, called it “bootcamp.” He said he loved it because it lasted an hour, there was some stretching, and the workouts were short. That’s all I knew about CrossFit. Nothing more.
I also knew I needed some form of exercise badly. I was 44 years old. I had played rugby until I was 41. I had barely exercised between the ages of 41 and 44. I had gained enough weight—well, a lot of weight—so I could no longer run without pain. From rugby, my back was so stiff I could barely bend over to pick up things. I felt old. I felt stuck. No team sports. Lifting weights alone would not fix things, and running any long distance was out of the question.
Today, I find myself thinking about what it was like as a CrossFit beginner and what made me come back time and again. In this article, I share those thoughts in hopes that a view from a “consumer” will help affiliate owners, coaches and other beginners.
Way to go Warrington!
- Saturday, December 24th – 1 class only – 9:00 a.m. – Coach Diane. Games Prep class also cancelled.
- Monday, December 26th – 7 a.m., Noon, and 6 p.m. classes only (no 6 a.m. or 7 p.m.)
- Tuesday, December 27th – Friday, December 30th – regular class schedule
- Saturday, December 31st – 1 class only – 9:00 a.m. – Coach Diane. Games Class will proceed as scheduled at 7:30 a.m.
Congratulations to Team SFCF members Nick Barsotti, Joe Herrle, Monica Madsen, and Tonya White for pulling together their team at the last minute to compete in the Raindeer Games hosted yesterday by Crossfit Adventure in Concord. Way to represent!!!
In other Team SFCF news, check out our own Damon Waldron making a splash on the Crossfit Endurance home page today where they are featuring his participation in the North Face 50K. Go Damon!
Congratulations to Leaners of the Fall winners Kevin Wiggen and Queencie Palin! The SFCF community submitted over 125 votes for the 6 finalists Brian, Kevin, Alex, Queencie, Krysta, and Elise. The lucky winners will get to split the kitty, which is about $1200, and enjoy a free 1-month membership at SFCF. Awesome work by all who participated!
For those of you who would like to participate in the Spring Leaning, it will begin in March and will be either an 8 or 12 week challenge.
Change Up Your Saturday Morning Workout Routine for a Good Cause – Join Us at TJ’s Gym in Mill Valley for an Epic Workout in Support of a Good Cause
What is The Disposable Heroes Project?
More than 32,000 troops have been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan since the War began, and it is estimated that as many as 30 percent of soldiers returning home from war develop physical or mental ailments.
The mission of The Disposable Heroes Project is to recognize, honor, and support our Wounded, Fallen, and Active Duty Heroes. The DHP serves the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps, and their families. Their efforts are focused in the following three areas: The Funding of monuments and memorials, both virtual and static, Educational Scholarships for school expenses, and Troop Welfare. They aim to ensure our American troops are never without needed assistance. Read more about the DHP HERE
- This News & Events Section where you can learn about what’s going on at SFCF including upcoming events, schedule changes, and interesting information about what our members are up to. Subscribe now!
- A complete list of all of our programs – we have TONS of cool programs at SFCF – read more about them at our new Programs pages
- Coming Soon! We will also be adding a Members Only section where you will be able to track your workouts, your PRs, your food and your progress generally. Stay tuned.
- Thank you to Emily Coven of Flax Media for designing and building such an awesome new site for us!
Please join us at the Sports Basement for our annual SFCF holiday party. There will be Paleo appetizers, desserts, and beer and wine. The party will be a great opportunity to socialize with your fellow SFCFers and coaches and also get a little shopping done. Sports Basement is offering a 10% discount for SFCF members.
We hope to see you there!
* Please note the 7:00 p.m. class that night is cancelled.